PCA PRESS RELEASE
Eight counties represented in Greene King Team of the Year, selected via the MVP formula.
To see more articles.
The 2019 Overall Most Valuable Player Simon Harmer captains this season’s Greene King Team of the Year, which has been selected using the PCA’s purpose-built MVP Rankings.
The team of star performers contains three of the nominees for the NatWest PCA Players’ Player of the Year, in the form of Harmer, Dom Sibley and Ryan Higgins. One of the trio could be in line to receive the headline prize at tomorrow’s 50th NatWest PCA Awards ceremony.
Eight counties are represented, with six players coming from Division One of the Specsavers County Championship and five from Division Two. Six of the team helped their side to either gain promotion or win a trophy this year.
Selected ahead of the last round of County Championship fixtures via the MVP formula, the balanced team consists of the best performing individuals on the county circuit across all formats. Batting, bowling and fielding points were taken into consideration as well as MVP points-per-game to create the ultimate domestic team of 2019.
Greene King Team of the Year
- 413 Overall MVP points
- Top batsman in Overall MVP
- Most Overall batting points with 368
- Top 10 of Overall, CC, VB MVP
- 1,982 runs across all formats
- 335 Overall MVP points
- Double PCA Awards nominee
- Most runs in CC with 1,324
- Top batsman in Championship MVP
- Received first England Test call up
- 357 Overall MVP points
- August PCA Player of the Month
- 1,003 white ball runs
- Helped Somerset to ODC title
- Called up to England T20I squad
- 391 Overall MVP points
- 7th in Vitality Blast MVP
- 1,664 runs in all competitions
- Averaged 46 in the Blast
- 8 fifties in all formats
- 348 Overall MVP points
- Averaged 51.37 in the Championship
- Side’s top run-scorer in ODC + Blast
- Career best List A score of 161 not out
- 1,666 runs in all formats
- 484 Overall MVP points
- Fifth in Overall MVP
- PCA Awards nominee
- 958 runs and 50 wickets in CC
- Helped Gloucestershire to promotion
Dane Vilas (wicketkeeper)
- 406 Overall MVP points
- Highest ranked keeper
- 90 fielding MVP points
- Highest score of the season with 266
- Captained Div 2-winning Lancashire
- 464 Overall MVP points
- 17.86 points-per-game (ranked 2nd)
- 51 CC wickets at 15.76
- Four five-wicket hauls
- Helped Somerset win ODC
Simon Harmer (captain)
- 2019 Overall MVP with 609 points
- 2019 CC MVP winner
- MVP in semi-final and final of VB
- PCA Awards nominee
- 100 wickets to lead Essex to double
- 542 Overall MVP points
- Second in Overall MVP
- 71 CC wickets at 15.73
- Best FC match figures since 1956
- Six five-wicket hauls
- 363 Overall MVP points
- 85 wickets in all formats
- Most bowling points in Div 2
- Bowling average sub 20 in CC and VB
- Helped Northants to promotion
The MVP formula was designed by the PCA in conjunction with the players to identify the key influencers and top performers in any given game.
On top of points for runs and wickets, bonus points are awarded, for example, for scoring runs quickly, claiming top order wickets and taking catches in the field, amongst other important disciplines.
The algorithm therefore provides a more rigorous analysis of player performance than traditional batting or bowling averages do. The Overall MVP at the end of every season is rewarded with a £10,000 cash prize.