Wicketz Development Officer
Wicketz Development Officer
Initial 2 Year Term Worcestershire Cricket Board and Warwickshire Cricket Board in partnership with the Lord’s Taverners wish to appoint a Development Officer to continue to grow the Wicketz programme across the West Midlands.
This exciting role seeks an energetic and experienced individual who can deliver across a wide range of key priorities and objectives. The role combines programme development with cricket coaching focused on the personal development of participants. The role will be responsible for engaging young people and recruiting volunteers from areas of deprivation/hard to reach groups into becoming active members of local Community Wicketz Hubs.
Main Job Role:
• To maintain a minimum of 7 sustainable and inclusive community led cricket Hub environments, building participation and competitive opportunities, whilst tackling prevalent social issues identified within the community and promoting healthy lifestyle choices.
• To ensure the Wicketz legacy is left within the community beyond the cycle of the programme by identifying and upskilling participants, volunteers and members of the community,
• To positively engage with the local community to champion and develop partnerships with businesses, partner agencies, schools, parents and other sports groups to ensure community cohesion.
• To be patient and understand the importance of developing strategies to enable challenged individuals to make the most of opportunities to use the power of cricket as a vehicle to seek to enhance their future prospects and support them make positive life choices.
• Develop social and inter-personal skills of participants including: leadership, communication and self-esteem.
• Provide formal written reports and case studies, and ensure all monitoring and evaluation is kept up to date.
• Organise and deliver festivals and competitions to engage the wider community.
• To develop and deliver a strategy to implement the Wicketz programme aligned to the needs of the
• To successfully engage young people aged 8-19 years old into Wicketz community Hubs focussed on participation, sustainability leaving a longstanding legacy. Working to create an offer for these participants into their latter teens and help them into valuable pathways both inside and outside of sport.
• Deliver quality, innovative programmes, health activities and opportunities to engage all members of the community into the game of cricket through Wicketz Hubs.
• Maintain a database of participation for all who have engaged with our programmes, and to maintain
regular communication and dialogue, whilst also capturing feedback, opinion and a review of
• To comply with the monitoring and evaluation requirements of the Lord’s Taverners for the Wicketz
programme including database management and written reports.
• To collect case studies to highlight the positive impact of the programme in both locations.
• Ensure the branding and identity of the programme within delivery.
• Delivery of a year-round cricket programme that is diverse and inclusive, and attracts girls and boys as well as the wider community.
• Developing cricket opportunities for all players of all standards (coaching, tournaments, teams or casual play).
• Liaise/Support other initiatives to signpost Wicketz participants, to older age group cricket participation projects and increase awareness of the Wicketz programme locally.
• Develop extended partnerships with external partners and stakeholders resulting in an enhancement
of cricket development plans/strategies.
Knowledge, Education and Experience
• An understanding of the principles of sports development.
• An understanding of the Wicketz Programme and its aims and objectives.
• Experience in youth work.
• Experience of mentoring, supporting and encouraging volunteers and young people.
• Experience of working with children with behavioural and special needs.
• Experience of Partnership working.
• Understanding of the local landscape and community, in particular local authority.
• Computer literate including using databases.
• Holder of a current full driving licence with access to their own vehicle .
• DBS verified, First Aid & Safeguarding qualifications.
• Has a right to work in the UK.
• A good knowledge of the structure of cricket (UK and Internationally)
• Significant cricket coaching experience within a club/community environment
• ECB L2 accredited coach
• Experience in workshop delivery
• Experience of working with inactive people in recreational sport and/or physical activity sessions
• Fund writing experience
The successful post holder will be:
• Committed to improving the lives of young people.
• Committed to their own personal professional development and play an active role in the professional development of colleagues.
• Represent the Lord’s Taverners, Worcestershire Cricket Board and Warwickshire Cricket Board in a
positive and professional manner at all times.
• Ensure the health, safety and welfare of yourself, participants and others at all times.
• Conduct sessions in accordance with the appropriate ECB guidelines and good practice.
• Take part in other activities as and when required.
• Perform all duties in an equitable manner and to actively promote the principles of equality amongst colleagues, partners and service users.
• Conform to, actively commit to and promote both the Lord’s Taverners, Worcestershire Cricket Board
and Warwickshire Cricket Board values when using any communication.
SUPERVISION AND WORK PLANNING
The Wicketz Development Officer will work across the West Midlands and will have office space available at New Road and Edgbaston as required. The employee’s normal working days will be Monday-Friday and will normally be expected to complete at least 35 hours in a week. The employee will not normally be required to work before 9am, however, due to the nature of the work involved in this position, the employee will be required to work some evenings and possibly weekends. The post holder will be required to carry out their duties at such times and on such days that are the most effective to perform the responsibilities of the position.
Lords Taverners, Worcestershire Cricket Board and Warwickshire Cricket Board are committed to
safeguarding and protecting the children and young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our services.
If you require further information about this post, please contact Craig Oakley email@example.com;