Director of Cricket
Director of Cricket
Job Title: Director of Cricket
Reporting to: Board Chair
Responsible for: Head Coach
Head of Cricket Operations
Head of Science and Medicine
Head of Academy
Location: Worcestershire County Cricket Club, New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ.
Worcestershire County Cricket Club is one of the 18 major county cricket clubs which make up the England and Wales Cricket Board. We play to the highest level of professional cricket with a history stretching back over 155 years.
Purpose of the role:
• To develop and implement a strategy to achieve sustainable success in all formats of the game.
• To work in conjunction with the Head Coach to create, develop and sustain highly motivated and technically proficient playing and coaching teams, which can compete for trophies at the highest level of County cricket.
• To have experience in Leadership/Coaching at an elite level.
Key duties and responsibilities:
• To be accountable for the recruitment, retention, development and management of professional coaching staff whilst maintaining a succession plan for these key coaching roles.
• Line management of the Head Coach and ensuring that the Head Coach and WCCC Captain(s) provide effective leadership to the squad.
• To work in conjunction with the Head Coach and any other WCCC professional Coaches and Captain(s) to create a performance-based culture which empowers Coaches and Players to prepare, perform and maintain elite standards of professional Cricket on and off the field. This will include facilitating and monitoring individual development plans for every professional Coach and Player.
• To work closely with the Head of Science and Medicine in the creation and execution of a Science and Medicine regime which maximises WCCC Coaches and Players’ availability and performance.
• To lead the Cricket Operations team to deliver the highest level of support including, but not limited to, transport, travel and accommodation of WCCC Teams and the appropriate registration of WCCC players.
• Conducting mid-season and end of season reviews of Coaches’ performance and producing Player reports as and when required by Worcestershire CCC or ECB.
• To create and monitor professional development plans for all direct reports.
• To consider any requests from WCCC Coaches and players in relation to invitations to coach or play in any cricketing engagement outside of their contractual responsibilities with WCCC and if granted, ensure appropriate documentation is in place.
• To be responsible for managing the relationship with the Professional Cricketers Association (PCA) and Coach and Player Agents, including negotiations in relation to employment contracts.
• In conjunction with the Head of Facilities, be responsible for liaising with ECB and any other stakeholders in developing and confirming the annual domestic fixture programme and venues for WCCC home matches.
• To work closely with the Head Grounds Person and provide guidance for the preparation of practice and match surfaces for WCCC home venues.
• To support and actively participate in sponsorship, advertising and other similar promotional activities on behalf of, or organised by the Club and co-operate in any promotional activities arranged by Club sponsors.
• Building and maintaining effective relationships with all commercial partners and stakeholders in the community, including local premier leagues.
• To be accountable for the preparation, allocation and ongoing monitoring of Cricket related budgets.
• To provide guidance and direction to the WCCC Academy Director enabling future players to sustain successful performances in successful WCCC Teams.
• Ensure fulfilment of Cricket Operations requirements for hosting international Cricket and any other matches including liaison with the ECB for pitch preparation.
• To attend regular team meetings and provide monthly reports on Cricket related activities to the WCCC Board.
• Work closely with the Marketing & Communications team to create timely and relevant media updates and plan and attend media interviews.
In order to improve the Club’s face to the general public, it is expected that all employees will:
• greet any directors, employees, members, spectators, customers, sponsors and visitors to the Club in a friendly manner and assist them in any way required;
• ensure that the requirements of all Club members, spectators, customers, sponsors and visitors are met at every level; and
• to contribute positively at all times to a pleasant and friendly atmosphere throughout the Club.
• The nature of our work and the size of our team here at Worcestershire County Cricket Club requires everyone to be flexible, willing and an excellent team player.
• To comprehend and adhere to relevant Club standards, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures relating to health & safety and financial management and control.
• To bring the attention of the Board Chair any potential hazards, problems or difficulties to the business or cricketing operations of the Club.
• Proven experience in leadership roles within professional sport.
• The ability to build and lead diverse teams.
• ECB Coaching qualification (preferably L3) or equivalent, or a higher qualification in leadership and management.
• Outstanding leadership, strategic planning and organisational skills.
• Strong desire to succeed coupled with openness, resilience and motivation to outperform in a challenging, performance-based environment.
• Excellent people management and communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the motivation and enthusiasm to train and develop the team.
• Financial and business acumen
• Passion and commitment for delivering the highest quality performance on and off the field of play.
• To be a cultural role model for everyone at WCCC and uphold the club values.
This Job Description is not an exhaustive list of tasks but does represent the major duties and responsibilities encompassed in the job. It does not prevent the Post Holder from being allocated any other duties of a broadly similar nature to those described. Should these other duties become a permanent and major part of the job, they will be included in a revised specification.
Hours, benefits and salary:
• Based on 40 hours per week, you will be expected to work such hours as are necessary for the full and proper exercise of your duties including weekends, Bank Holidays and at such other times as the Club may reasonably require. You will normally be expected to be present at all games when the County teams are playing as appropriate.
• The salary for this role will be competitive and commensurate
• Private Medical Cover
• Contributory pension scheme
• Free city centre parking
• Stunning city centre location with iconic cathedral view
• Discount in the club café
• 2 x matchday membership passes
• Complimentary tickets for various Sports venues across Worcester, including Worcester Warriors, Worcester Racecourse, Worcester Wolves and Severn Stars
• Complimentary passes at Nuffield Health
• Employee Assistant Programme
Please submit a CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org The closing date for applications is 30th August 2022.
Worcestershire County Cricket Club recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination.
We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.