Saturday, 25 April 2015, 07:00pm
Abbott to have a blast at Middlesex
Abbott is set to arrive at Lord's, subject to Cricket South Africa clearance, after the Indian Premier League and will then be available from May 28 until the start of his country's tour to Bangladesh a month later.
The 27-year-old produced some eye-catching performances for South Africa during this winter's World Cup, and also has eight Twenty20 international caps.
Abbott, who played for Hampshire in last summer's Blast, said: "I am delighted to have signed for Middlesex for the T20 campaign.
"I enjoyed my time in England last year immensely and I am looking forward to a new and exciting challenge with Middlesex. It is an honour to have signed for such an illustrious club, and I look forward to pulling on the shirt for the first time."
Abbott has been a long-term target for Middlesex, and their managing director of cricket Angus Fraser is already planning how to replace him for the latter stages of the Blast.
He said: "During the winter [we] identified that our priority for a second T20 Blast player was a high-quality fast bowler, and we believe in Kyle we have signed someone who will significantly strengthen our T20 side.
"Kyle continues to highlight what a top bowler he is. He was exceptional during the recent World Cup, where he took nine wickets in four games at an average of 14 and conceded just over four runs per over. In a high scoring tournament these were outstanding figures.
"It is unfortunate we cannot have him for the entire tournament, but we are not the only county to have these issues. With this in mind, we are already speaking to people about Kyle's replacement for the final six group T20 Blast matches."
Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2015, All Rights Reserved.
Middlesex have signed Kyle Abbott for seven NatWest T20 Blast matches