- PDWP - explained
- Expert Referral Network
- Personal Development & Welfare managers
- Beyond the Boundaries
- Applying for a Job
- Personal Development Ambassadors 2014
- Personal Trainer Courses
- MBTI – Personality Profiling
- Career Development
- Course Options
- Coaching Qualifications
- Interview Training
- Finding a Job
- Development Funding
- Public Relations Service
- Development Scholarship
- What Job?
- Top Ten Tips
- Work Placement
- Finding the Right Course
- Winter Cricket Placements
- Small Business Advice
- The Prince's Trust
- MCC UCCE's
- Loughborough MCCU
The PCA has been running winter ‘taster' courses for players as part of the Personal Development Programme for over 5 years. The winter courses give players a chance to develop new transferable skills or enhance existing ones. It also gives them the chance to ‘try out' potential careers before deciding which route to follow for when they finish playing.
The PCA commitment to keep developing the Personal Development Programme continues. A variety of different courses are on offer, spanning a wide variety of skills and subjects.
• Effective Networking - Learn how to make the best of a networking situation and to present yourself in a confident manner.
• Media/interview training - Develop your skills for when you're being interviewed for television and radio. How to answer those difficult questions, tips on how to sound interesting and articulate.
• Managing & understanding your finances - Interactive workshop to develop your knowledge of basic investment/pension and tax information
• Contract Negotiations - Develop your negotiation skills for when you are specifically dealing with contracts and agents. What to ask, what to look for, how to approach an issue
• General negotiation skills -Tips and advice on how to approach everyday conversations and situations where you may need to negotiate
• Presentation & communication skills - Improve your general presentation and communication skills so you feel confident in any situation, whether it be a formal presentation, a team talk, meeting sponsors and clients
• Public/After dinner speaking - Exercises to help you develop your formal speaking skills. Improve your body language, pace and tone of voice and general delivery of a speech
• Interview/assessment day skills - Learn tips on how to maximise your potential when at an interview or assessment. What to do and not to do
• Social Responsibility & Self Awareness - A workshop exploring the issues of social responsibility and self awareness for cricketers, as role models in the public eye.
• Self Management - How to maximise your potential and manage yourself in order to achieve all that you set out to do.
• Sales & Marketing skills - General skills in sales and management useful in all walks of life but especially for those with their own businesses
• Trade skills - Taster days learning basics skills in a trade; plumbing, plastering, tiling, electricity. Useful to gain valuable skills for those who want to do DIY around the house, property development or those thinking of a future career in the trades.
• Doing the Obvious - A simple guide to Sport Psychology - What exactly is "Sport Psychology? How is it applied in everyday sporting environments? How is it best delivered by coaches and sport psychologists? Why is it effective? Following your instincts and "doing the obvious"
For more information contact your Personal Development Manager.
DISTANCE LEARNING courses
Manchester Metropolitan University Distance Learning
BSc (Hons) Exercise and Sport Science
The course is designed to prepare students for the rapidly growing career opportunities in exercise and sport science and related areas. The course will be studied on a part-time basis by distance learning and studying will follow a 12-month calendar.
In this way, the completion of the course will take 4.5 years in total, possibly less time if you possess appropriate qualifications to gain entry above Level 4 (Certificate).
Full course details can be found by clicking below:
For PCA members that would like to build on their career The Training Room are offering discounted rates on Personal Training Courses. With three different options to choose from; Fast Track, Part Time Blended Learning and E-Learning The Training Room can get you qualified as a Personal Trainer in as little as 6 weeks. The qualification gained through The Training Room is the Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training, allowing you to pass on your fitness knowledge on to potential clients.
The Training Room promise to do everything they can to help you succeed and are passionate about your future. As such they offer on going career support for up to three years and a training guarantee, meaning that if you fail any part of the course you can re-sit it for free.
The Training Room are happy to offer all PCA members a discount of up to 40% off their course price.
Many professional sportspeople would like to combine their active football career with education. But where can you find an educational programme which will fit in with your active career? Because your sporting career should not have to suffer due to the hours you have to put into your educational programme! Training camps, matches abroad and injuries are just three examples of how important it is for you to be flexible. Traditional full time educational programmes simply cannot be combined with your sporting career.
FIFPro has developed an educational programme with the Danish University UCN which can be combined with your sports career.
For more information, please click here.
NEW Bursary for Sportsmen and Women
For professional sportsmen and women, Cranfield School of Management is offering a Bursary to support those who wish to equip themselves for a career in the commercial world. No matter the sector, it is essential to understand business principles and to have a toolkit of skills to draw upon. For anyone wishing to study for a Masters programme (whether full-time because of a career ending injury or one that is coming to an end after a successful sporting career), we have an option.
Our full-time programmes are suitable for those who are no longer playing sports. The following are studied over 12 months at Cranfield:
Our part-time programmes are suitable for those who can commit to studying for 4 or 5 one week blocks a year and require more experience than the full-time programmes, but we are willing to discuss on a case by case basis. The following programmes are available at Cranfield:
Bursary savings on the full-time programme would be £4,000, subject to meeting the entry criteria, and on the Executive part-tme programmes a £2,000 bursary in the first year is offered and a further £2,000 in the second year.
Cranfield also offer a highly respected full-time General Management MBA (studied over 12 months) and an Executive MBA (studied over two years) and can be deferred by 3-4 years, if necessary.
For anyone interested in studying for an MBA we would look at individuals on a case by case basis and would require a minimum of three years commercial experience and a good first degree.
To start a discussion, come along to an Information Session run monthly in London or a Preview Day held on campus, some on weekdays some on a weekend, please contact Michele Gray - Business Development Director, Graduate Programmes on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01234 754377 or visit our website www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters